Thursday 25 February 2016

Paint experiment


Here I was influenced by Holton Rower and Will Kendrick and their work which involves poring paint over object.

For this technique of poring paint I used PVA paints mixed with water. I decided to stick with 3 bright colours of blue green and yellow , mainly because I was experimenting and didn't want to complicate the piece to much. As you will see later on when I used more colours some colours mixed together and didn't look as good.

So firstly I grabbed the first squared object I could fine which just so happened to be a piece of polystyrene, in retrospect this wasn't the best as it was rudged and consequently the paint ran off unevenly.
So to do this i literally just pored the paint from a beaker onto the polystyrene, trying to make sure they were even amounts each time and they were central. Though as I quickly learnt that it was going to go evenly (it lent more towards back) I then just randomly pored the paint on to the polystyrene to try and cover the entirety of it.
Overall , though it didn't go as it imagined it to , this was an preliminary experiment therefore I'm gonna go with that I think the colours worked great together , they were bright and complementary towards each other. Though it didn't pore evening to give the initial look I was going for instead it's got more of a psychedelic look to it which I quite like! 





Okay this experiment was a very 'spur of the moment thing' in that I found a balloon and thought what could I do with this so I put quick dry plaster into it and it was whilst it was drying that I did my paint poring , so once it was dry I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of effect I would get if I paint pored onto it. As you can see u added red to the mix as well as my original colours to see how that played out.
Even though the red mixed with the other colours to make not so nice colours and the shape meant the colours didn't go within each other and expand rather they just dribbled randomly , I think it looks pretty cool. I like the way the white plaster underneath is still visible and has the same dripping effect as the paint. 




So this was my last experiment on this particular day ,I decided to do a more purposeful piece. For this I glued back together a small cardboard box I found , hoping it would give an even spread of colour. As you can see I wasn't that fortunate and it decided to go off to one side. Nevertheless still a really cool effect and hopefully I will be able to do more experimenting to see if I get it right.
Some things I would do if I could would be to test out different paints as the brand of PVA paint college had was a bit naft, so it will be good to see if other types worked better or worse.
Another thing would be to see if I can get it right firstly on a small scale like I have been then to eventually increase that.
Also different shapes for example if liked to try it either on a person or a cast of one to see the effect the fluidity and curves of the body has on the way the paint moves.

Overall though I think I got some interesting photos of the poring paint effect.The outcome was bright and colourful, I like the way the colours mixed together as they dripped down the side and collected together, it has that random psychedelic effect which I actually really like.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing such informative information about Paint & Technology college. This is very helpful blog on Paint & Technology college. I will come here again for getting more information.

    ReplyDelete