Friday 2 January 2015

LSG: Evaluation

The aim for this project was to create the front and back cover for the new North Notts College Learner Survival Guide( a student handbook). I made 3 final main designs(not including the variations of colour/layout of some).

Initially I started my research by creating a mind map of things that are popular among the target audience and jotted down the first ideas which came to me of what the Learner Survival Guide cover could look like, this then transition into further ideas.

Next I took this forward and did online research: For my first design I looked into existing food and drink logos before deciding on Starbucks as it a popular brand among the target audience.I then manipulated the logo to say LSG 2015/16 with the North Notts college logo in the centre.

For my second design I looked into: Firstly surrealism(Mainly Dali) and secondly surrealism photography which is where I discovered the thought of incorporating a lightbulb onto the cover as it is usually the idiom for a 'bright idea'.Which I thought fit well with with education and learning. For this is also found inspiration in Neville Brody's typography for the text on the cover and I used sans-serif text with black and grey boxes around the bold font. 

Last, for my final design I looked back to my mind map where I thought of the idea of having a music based cover. I originally was thinking of the idea of having vintage headphones on the cover but instead I decided to make it more modern therefore I based it upon Apple's iPod Classic, which I own myself, for the final design.I liked the idea of having this as I feel it stands out to the target audience as they will associate it with the brand Apple which is now very mainstream.


Next I researched into graphic designers: Alan Fletcher and Neville Brody (as well as their inspirations for example art movements such as Dada which I wrote about on my blog).I looked into the Magazine 'The Face' which Neville Brody designed for and the Pentagram which Alan Fletched founded. I found their work very inspiring , I particularly liked the way Neville Brody used different sizes and colour of text to make words stand out and the bright water-coloured effect of Fletcher's work and the logo he created for the Victoria and Albert Museum. 
However I feel I didn't incorporate this enough into my own ideas ergo so I would of liked to create another final piece  based upon this.

After looking at graphic designers I decided to look at Univeristy prospectus ,one reason for this is that they are to deign to not only stand out and catch the eyes of people but to convey a message to the reader about the Univeristy. Upon looking at many different prospectus which I have I saw that they to were inspired by graphic designers and art movements. I then took this inspiration to my own work looking at composition and typography.

In retrospect I found that in the beginning stages I was lacking in inspiration therefore, if I was to re-do this project, I would do more preliminary research into existing booklets to think of more innovative ideas. Then perhaps I would find myself with more then 3 final designs which, though I feel are strong designs which communicate a message to the tagert audience, could be altered to create more final designs which are stronger.





No comments:

Post a Comment